Thursday, December 29, 2005

What IS Christmas week, anyway?


I can't help it. I am making lists of things to do when I get back to work. Nothing major, you understand, but things that I need to remember, things that didn't get done in that lazy , hazy few days before the holdiay break when everyone has visions of sugar plums dancing in their heads. Or vodka martinis. Or presents. Well, you get the idea.
The time between Christamas and the New Year has always seemed like another country to me. The week off seems surreal and not placed firmly in time. In my former job, I used to love to tell everyone "See you next year!"-----I got such a kick out of the fact that one day we are safely ensconced in a year in which all of our failures, successes, hurts, moments of ecstasy were bundled behind us and the new year loomed clean, white, ready to make of it what we might. Or the other way around.
I've been at the dining room table writing all week long. Today is rainy , damp and cold and I've lit a candle. In this strange week of holidy suspension (is it still the holiday? Can you justify the holiday drinks while you heat up the leftovers?) I am creating fictional worlds and the people who inhabit them. Suffice it to say that my characters are NOT celebrating the holidays. Only living life as it comes each day. Which is what I'll be doing once I go back to work on the 3rd of January. Pass the vodka!

No comments: