Sunday, February 12, 2006

Time away is the ticket


Well, we left Baltimore where the hub had a medical conference. I took a few days off from my day job and when I got to the hotel, locked myself away with some awesome coffee, my books, laptop and some great jazz that I just bought (Universal Syncopations by Miroslav Vitous) and read and wrote and looked out the window which was a great view since we were on the waterfront in a corner room on the sixteenth floor. I completed two freelance assignments, completed a short story, wrote two query letters, worked on a poem and read some more Peanuts comic strips in one of my new books It's a Big World Charlie Brown. I managed to get to the Civil War Museum, the Aquarium, the bookstore (3x) , a FANTASTIC Japanese restaurant and lots of other stuff.
My husband and I were both marginally aware of how bad the weather was suppose to be (duhhh) and were rather suprised when we woke this morning to lots of snow and blustery winds. We grabbed coffee and muffins and got on the road. The hub is an incredibly intrepid traveler and everything is a challenge to him. Anything has the potential to becomes a dare to which he must rise. So I said : "Uh, hon, do you think we should wait a while?" I saw the fire in his eyes. He as all set to go! We passed a car that went into a ditch, a truck on fire, and many, many cars spinning because of going way, way too fast and not leaving enough space between themselves and the car in front of them. This is incredibly annoying and also dangerous. "I laugh at your stupidity!" the hub yelled at one man speeding along in his Mercedes Benz, who took a bit of a spin, which, by the look on his face as we passed him, I'd wager he didn't intend.
Home to the house we arrived safely and the hub could. not. WAIT. to get the snow blower humming. He is STILL out there.
Otherwise, I've got dinner cooking on the stove and I've lit a few candles in the house, just waiting for him to come inside.
We got a lot more snow here than in Baltimore, but it really is so beautiful.

1 comment:

Eric McCloy said...

My favorite is to mock people with 4wd who imagine they are invincible & haven't figured out that 4wd certainly helps you go, but does nothing to help you stop.