Saturday, January 07, 2006

It's kind of like bartending. . .

Well, it really is. I worked my part time job today at the public library and had a lot of great conversations. A regular patron that comes in is a very lovely looking Polish woman. She's jus had her fourth child----gorgeous blue-eyed, blonde children. I congratulated her on the birth of her son who is only a few weeks old. She sighed and said, "I slipped him in right before my Big birthday coming up!" "Oh," I replied, "Thirty isn't that bad!" Her eyes became wide. "Thirty?!" she sputtered. "I'll be Forty!" "Well, " I said,"Forty isn't bad at all." She came closer to the circulation desk and leaned toward me and said "But my husband is only 24!" EGADS! Ive had people confess all sorts of things to me in the course of doing readers' advisory,checking their books out, as well as collecting their fines.
I will still always love the preteen boy, a few years back who confirmed that if he returned books late , he would have to pay a late fine. "That's right," I said. "Well, " he replied as he pulled the books he wanted to return out of a small backpack, "These are early. Do I get money back?"
Gotta love working at the library. Good conversation, books, colorful characters and books, lousy pay, but books, books books.
What's not to love?

No comments: